Local Assemblyman condemned by News Paper as a ‘bad example.’
It reported his sickness from Covid. He was not vaccinated. Some quotes (you can read the full article here).
- Why is a legislator who should be setting the example… choosing not to get vaccinated?
- To have public officials… ignore the truth and kowtow to the anti-vaxers, either out of ignorance or as a bid for their votes, sets a terrible – and potentially deadly – example.
- It’s about enough common sense to protect yourself and others…
- Everyone has the absolute right not to get vaccinated for anything… but these decisions have consequences.
- Covid does not care about rights or philosophical arguments.
Is he a bad example? Hardly! No more than each of is right now in many ways.
Is there no middle ground in America? Folks used to have different opinions, but respect each other. Recall the religious wars in Europe. The ‘other side’ wasn’t just wrong, they were EVIL.
Can we get back to Civil Discourse? Two people can review the same facts, but reach different conclusions based on their background and life experience. It seems you just can’t disagree with someone without being condemned. It breaks up families!
Is it “FACTS & SCIENCE” or a matter of degree? Balancing numbers and our response. The flu kills 40,000/year. Mandating a flu vaccine and masks would save lives. We haven’t done that.
Parents who worry about their child’s education getting entirely messed up. The human face has an amazing number of muscles to control our expressions, critical in how we communicate with each other.
PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT. Early we didn’t have enough, treatments, or a vaccine. Covid deaths will drop. I don’t give to every charity, even though I know it COULD SAVE A LIFE. Actions to help other are personal ‘costs’ whether of time, money, or inconvenience.
INTOLERANCE, PREJUDICE & BULLYING: Okay for a good cause?
- People who don’t choose to get vaccinated are ‘anti-vaxers’ … let’s group them all together and give them a name – prejudice.
- It’s about enough common sense … not vaccinated, you are STUPID, excuse me for bullying.
- Absolute right not to get vaccinated … decisions have consequences … Does that sound intolerant – but we’re trying to save lives.
- COVID DOES NOT CARE about rights or philosophical arguments … It’s a mindless virus, but we are human beings and we care about rights and reasoning. He and his wife could have died. Some might be tempted to say, “Well, they got what they deserved.” Compassion?
OBESITY IN AMERICA. Avoidable, a real health issue. Ties up the health care, causes deaths. Are ‘they’ next? Go to the back of the line for health care, weight check to keep your job. We’re just trying to save your life!
COMMUNIST RUSSIA. A lot of people don’t know they also guaranteed “FREE SPEECH” for their people. But if you didn’t agree with the ‘party line’… you were mentally ill and needed some time in an institution. Let’s not go there.
AM I VACCINATED? Yes. I don’t think vaccines are tainted and probably make a lot of sense for many people. Yes, not so much from desire, but I wanted to travel to Italy: to visit a friend with cancer and also an elderly Aunt. I have friends/family at high risk for Covid, they’ve asked me to wear a mask and I do.
I reviewed the facts and made my decision (not yours!).
You want folks to get vaccinated or wear a mask? Do a better job of CONVERTING their beliefs, don’t just try to DOMINATE them. Can’t get them to agree? Accept it. It’s a free country, let’s keep it that way.